18 May 2013 - Posted by sunnder in News & Updates
After lots of inhouse testing with Scorch gameplay, we've come to the conclusion that the original gameplay model did not have long-term fun factor. It ended up being a game that was fun for 15-30 minutes bursts, but quickly grew repetitive without being addicting.
In addition, we determined that there wasn't a lot of skill involved in the gameplay despite the skillshot nature of spells. Yes, there was a mechanical skill requirement, but there was also a distinct lack of strategy and tactics. In essence, it came down to whoever had the best aim.
As a result, Scorch is heading in a new direction. Here are the main differences so far:
- No more lava. The lava concept was fun but my implementation of it wasn't very interesting. Warlocks handled it better with tiled maps and dynamic map changes over time. So, I decided to scrap this concept.
- No more knockback. Without lava, there's really no need for a knockback component.
- Larger maps. Without lava, the maps no longer have to be restricted to a certain size. Look forward to larger maps, both symmetric and asymmetric, with more focus on positional design.
- Faster gameplay. Movement speed is faster, spells cast faster, projectiles move faster. Hopefully this will create a more engaging sense of gameplay, plus it should ratchet up the tension in duels and battles.
- Higher damage. Each hit from a spell will inflict much higher relative damage so that kills and deaths become more frequent. This, too, will increase overall gameplay speed.
- Fewer spells. In order to ease the learning curve and (paradoxically) increase spell and build variety, spell slots will be reduced to M1, M2, Space, Q, and 1. The spell system itself (picking your own builds) will remain as is.
- CTF as main mode. Deathmatch has its place and Scorch will always have a DM mode available, but the game design and focus will shift to a CTF mode. I believe that will add a layer of strategic depth to the gameplay that straight up DM and TDM can't offer, e.g., map control.
I may have missed a point or two but that's a decent summary of where I want to take Scorch. If you have any questions or see any potential problems, please feel free to share them.
EDIT: Here's a brief clip of what the new gameplay will feel like.
236 Views · 9 Replies ( Last reply by DynamicArtist19 )
08 May 2013 - Posted by sunnder in News & Updates
If you've seen the Scorch videos so far, you'll know that the maps are pretty ugly: big square tiles without much three-dimensionality to them. They're great for gameplay but not so great for eye candy.
I'm looking for anyone who has 3D modelling experience and wants to volunteer their time to create one map. This is experimental in nature since it'll require a refactoring of the map code but if it turns out well, your map will stay in the game.
Components of a map:
1 mesh for the actual ground/platform. Should be a flat plane but can be detailed.
1 mesh for each environmental obstacle: walls, pillars, etc.
All the necessary textures.
Again, this is somewhat experimental, so we can talk about file formats and stuff to get those straightened out. Contact me on Skype (carbonoxgamer) if you're interested! Thanks.
158 Views · 0 Replies
06 May 2013 - Posted by sunnder in News & Updates
As of today, PlayBLC will be letting go of Bloodline Champions and shifting its full focus onto Scorch Arena. It was a good run and I do not regret the last 5 months in the slightest - I had a ton of fun and I hope those of you who participated in or watched the events enjoyed them, too.
The switch comes with a new website theme and I've disabled the following big website features for now: Economy, Guides, Betting, and Awards. Please let me know if you run into any bugs or broken links with the new theme.
All of the BLC related forums and threads will remain in existence for the foreseeable future.
2,120 Views · 67 Replies ( Last reply by Twan )
Latest Forum Posts
ALH hosting a tournament
sunnder - Today, 02:18 PM
ALH hosting a tournament
Hotopic - Today, 02:15 PM
Bump, tournament begins tomorrow!
Ways to Make CTF Interesting
sunnder - Today, 01:30 PM
With the recent decision to focus on 3v3 CTF as the "real" game mode for Scorch (DM and TDM still...
Scorch v0.25 Revamp - New Gameplay Direction
DynamicArtist19 - Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Agree. Also the first thing that came to my mind when watching the video was: Have you tried...
sunnder - May 21 2013 10:13 AM
Note: This changelog is all over the place due to the revamp. Have fun! Gameplay- Added game...
1 members, 17 visitors and 0 anonymous users
Google Mobile, sunnder, Bing